Saturday, August 8, 2009

Devotionals -- WHAT?

I don't know about most of you, but when I was a teen in youth group, my youth Pastor along with our teen leaders etc, would ALWAYS be pushing how much we needed to read out Bible. Even as an adult, I hear Rev. Bumpers (THE BUMPERS) shout from the front of the church about the vitality of reading God's word. Sounds like a good idea right? Sounds like a DUH issue... but how often do we actually sit down to do it? How often is that the thing that gets pressed aside? How often do we excuse ourselves away from it?

I one time had a lady tell me "God understands that I have kids and a husband, He understands my busyness." For a while that worked for me. I kept telling myself that God understood .... sure I had time for Grey's and I had time for homework and I had time for my husband and I to sit around and gossip about celebrities .... but God would understand.

Here's the thing. The above statement shows you my true priorities. So if God was my #1 priority, than HE would come before Grey's.. HE would come before homework... HE would come before gossiping ... He would come before ME.

The word of God is our FRONT line defense and our FRONT line offense to understanding and living out the will of God for our lives. I think we too often negate this as something we know we should do, like we know we should bless our food, we know we should go to church, we know we should talk to our neighbor about Christ... we say we KNOW these things... but often we excuse it away..... and that's where reading in God's word becomes so applicable.

If we are reading about the sacrifices of the saints (Moses, Noah, Jonah, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul) we are able to becoming bolder in our faith and saying a prayer in a crowded lunch room doesn't seem as bold as standing before Pharaoh and telling him to let the Jews go... or saying YES when asked if we are Christians doesn't seem as scary when we read how Noah was practically called insane and ostracized for following God's will. When we see how Paul rejoiced in a jail cell, through his persecution, it is easier to see that our trials and tribulations are part of living in this world... Old and New Testament alike, the Bible shows us our God, our Savior, and the Holy Spirit -- three in one.

When we are reading how God loved the people of Nineveh, as the repented, we learn more about God's love. When we are reading about the sacrifices made before Christ, we learn why Christ had to come. When we see how UN-perfect we are compared to the many laws written in Judges, we see that the law was written to show us that w/out a sacrifice, our relationship with God is not attainable. When we see how sinful we really are compared to those laws, we see how much we are in need of a Savior.

When we see the mercy of Christ as He speaks to Mary and Martha, we see how who our Savior is. When we see the love extended to Peter after the denial, we see how our Savior loves. When we read about the coming trials and tribulations, we can skip to the very end of Revelations and rejoice that we win!

This is what the Bible is meant to do. It's meant to show us who our God is. It's meant to show us WHY we need a Savior. It's meant to show us that man is God's creation whom He loves and is willing to do ANYTHING for. Without reading this, daily... without meditating on it... without processing His words, we miss out on understanding Who HE is.

What an amazing God we have that He sends us His words written out for all to see and hear. What a blessing it is to be able to chew on the words of such a HOLY God.

Rev. Bumpers (aka THE BUMPERS.. I've decided I can call him that on here b/c I know he'll never read it ha ha) dad, Rev. Bumpers SENIOR once told me when I was so lost and ready to give up... Read 1 John ... than read 2 John ... than read 3 John... compare who you are to how John tells us a Christian is to be. Than read them all again.

This will answer if you are truly saved... this will answer where you are w/ God... and where you are with your relationship with the only way to our PERFECT and HOLY God... His Son.. Jesus Christ.

I hope I've encouraged you to pick up your Bible today and chew on some wisdom from the only One who is really truly able to give it out... our God.

It's a great spiritual check up to think where we place our time with God.

If you find yourself stuck on a passage, I hope and pray you seek Godly wisdom... that you pray about it, and ask God to reveal it's meaning to you. That you seek out Godly counsel on anything you might not understand. It has been my experience God shows me what I need to hear... and seeking counsel through prayer and other Godly women and men of God... nails it down and impresses the concept on my heart.

God Bless! Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I've read the bible twice, cover to cover, in my life. It's not an easy read when you treat it like a paperback (ie, cover to cover). I think it's easier to read when you follow one of those 'read the bible in a year' plans.

    ReplyDelete